Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Local affairs


It's my third time attending local weddings in Sabah. Twice in Keningau itself and the latest Dusun style wedding was last night. 

My staff nurse's cousin's wedding and she invited me to join the merriment. Coincidently one of my medical assistant is also related to the bride, which makes them somehow all cousins haha

She invited me (being a Muslim yet a pure dusun) because in every dusun wedding/celebration, there's definitely alcohol. πŸ‘πŸ˜

The wedding started since noon but I only managed to attend at 10.30pm, directly after work. Most of the guests had returned home and the merry ones were dancing the night away accompanied by people singing karaoke songs. 

My welcome drink was tapai in bamboo shoots. Hahaha greeted by my staff nurse, personally accompanied by the host and introduced to tons of relatives as the local dr. 

The host family then proceeded to warm up 5 different dishes for me (sidenote: entire wedding feast was prepared by relatives) and accompanied me during my meal. Some relatives came to me and shook my hand and also snapped photos. πŸ˜… I was really taken aback not because they treated me like a VIP but because they respect my profession so much. Was really honored and heartfelt grateful that I was able to enjoy such hospitality. πŸ˜„

We drank "tapai"(homemade local rice wine) while chit chatting with topics including the differences between semenanjung folks and borneo folks. One fine example is this wedding. Different folks and guests from different races and religions but no one complains when alcohol is served. It's your personal vindication whether to drink or not to drink. As easy as that. No one makes a mountain out of a molehill here cos there's NONE. 😌

I was also shown the "tapai" storage area and given lessons on "tapai". Hahaha apparently the alcohol content in "tapai" is never really known cos there's no research done on it. So the alcohol content is only based on assumptions after savoring other liquors. Personally, I like the initial sweetness and the bitter aftertaste but would taste better if its chilled πŸ˜†Very similar to
Japanese sake but thicker and sweeter.  Oh, and the older the age of "tapai" the more expensive it is (like wine?)
 
I was also informed that the glass for drnking must be filled with "tapai" to the brim. This symbols good harvest festival for the coming year. 😊 

Despite spending 3 hours at the house, I've never met the bride or bridesgroom. At last, was told that they were too tired and already in their room. 

Nevertheless, I had a swell time hanging  with the locals. Learned a thing or two and best of all, my personal door gift is a 750mls "tapai". Whee!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

 

2 comments:

TKDaddict said...

i see ur face red d in the pic panda :)

TKDaddict said...
This comment has been removed by the author.